A tie bar is a small detail with a big impact. It adds style, sophistication, and character to any suit and tie. The idea is simple but we have seen men wear a tie bar incorrectly, here is our guide to nailing it:
- Size matters. Keep everything proportionate. A huge tie bar doesn’t go with a skinny tie. Ideally, the tie bar should be somewhere between half and 3/4 the width of your tie.
- Placement is a major key. It should be worn slightly below the chest around the sternum or between the 3rd and 4th button of your shirt.
- Clip the tie to your dress shirt; the tie bar isn’t only there for decorative reasons. It has a real purpose and that’s to keep your tie in place.
- There’s a style to it. What most guys don’t know is to slightly lift up the tie when sliding/fastening the tie bar into place can make a slight difference in presentation
- Make your metals match. Silver is your go-to metal for a tie bar. Opt for gold to co-ordinate with gold accessories like your watch, jewellery and belt hardware.
- Keep it simple. Tie bars come in a various amount of shapes and colours. Get a solid range of 1-3 tie bars before opting for the more decorative options.
- Don’t wear a tie bar with your waistcoat, it defeats the purpose, a layering cardigan is more suitable.
- Tie your tie right. Make sure your tie knot is on point, dimpled right and hitting the top to the middle section of your belt.
Check out our tie bar selection in store at one of our locations