“If there is one consistent expression of a man’s sartorial acumen, it’s the way in which he pairs his shirt with his tie.” – Esquire
Colours, prints and patterns can be confusing on a regular day, so when it comes down to mixing them together, you can only imagine the sheer chaos. Learning to successfully match your shirts and ties is an undeniable art, fortunately, it’s one you can easily learn. Getting creative with your shirt and tie combinations is a great way to showcase your personal style and to separate yourself from your peers- especially if you work in an industry that requires you to wear one 5-days a week.
To get you started here are 5 tips and tricks you can employ to help you navigate this realm:
- Your tie (typically) should always be darker than your shirt
- Match a detail in the tie with the dominant colour of the shirt
- Always pair larger patterns with smaller ones. Avoid mixing patterns that have identical proportions
- Vary pattern type. Avoid having the same pattern appear in both your shirt and your tie
- When outfitting with a suit or blazer- ensure that 2 of the 3 items have the same colour scheme